Instagram

Thursday 7 November 2013

Prioritize the right


What are priorities?

“It’s not enough to be busy; so are the ants. The question is: what are we busy about?”
~Henry David Thoreau

I am a third year college student pursuing my engineering degree and every day I am piled up with endless number of assignments. I never seem to reach the end of the pile and can never take a sigh of relief. But in spite of how much ever busy I get, I don’t forget to give a call to my mom, now the duration is sometimes a 5 second one or a five minutes. It doesn’t matter how long it is, it’s what you do. Things which matter the most should never be at the mercy of the least.


So again I come to the same question, what are priorities? Well, in simple words, priority is just the expression of importance through actions and not just through thoughts. Honestly we are never too busy for anything or anyone whom we love. I love writing and I look for the smallest escape from my packed routine to write few words, pen down some thoughts and feel happy. I have seen my father put family before his work sometimes just to see us jolly. So yes, you have never enough reasons to say no to yourself from doing something you love.


The major problem we all have is that we prioritize things that are urgent the most and not enough on the things that are important and will last through forever. There are a lot of factors that shape our priorities in our daily lives. It is what we put at stake and what we leave behind.



Talking about priorities, while I am writing this, I have a lab record to complete and two assignments due and they are kept right in front of me haunting me but I chose to write because this is what I love and this is what will keep me happy. Those assignments can wait and well I can spend an extra few hours on them but this is like something which I want to do, so I am doing it. My very close friend has her birthday right in the middle of our semester finals but we somehow manage to take out few hours to make it special and a happy day for her because that’s kind of our priority at that point.

the friend i was talking about :P

So next time you feel you are doing everything right, look back at the timeline and see the things you have missed and the times you have disappointed people. Give your loved ones sixty seconds calls or give yourself the pleasure of the time to spend on what you love. Go take a trip to the bookstore or sit by the beach reminiscing memories or maybe surprise the people who have been waiting for you since forever. 

5 comments:

  1. You write really good. I read the other blogs as well. Really nice :D
    Abhi bhi bol raha hu, engineering chhod de :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha thanks a lot :) and since i have already started with engineering, i shall stop only when it's over now :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really impressive article Rukmini :)

    ReplyDelete